Saturday 30th April 2016
Having sworn unswerving fidelity to God, the Supreme Pontiff, the Holy See and the Holy Church, Peter Sefton-Williams was invested as a Knight of the Pontifical Order of St Gregory at the Ordinariate central Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory, Warwick St. The ceremony was conducted by the Ordinary, Mgr Keith Newton, who read the Papal Brief and presented Peter with his insignia of office during a special Mass.
The Pontifical Order of St Gregory the Great was founded in 1831 by Pope Gregory XVI. It is conferred as a reward for services to the Holy See and the Church on gentlemen of proved loyalty who must maintain unswerving fidelity to God, the Supreme Pontiff, the Holy See and the Church.
The Ordinariate church in Warwick Street is a particularly apt venue for such an event as it has a long association with the Order of St Gregory the Great. The reredos for the St Gregory altar in the church was a gift from the Knights of St Gregory in 1965, and for many years the Order regularly met at the church. Mgr Newton before beginning his homily remarked on this and expressed his hope that the tradition might be revived.
More photographs of the ceremony and Mass may be seen here.